Radiation Free Bone Density Scan
Bone density scans are used to assess an individual’s risk of developing Osteoporosis, which is characterised by low bone density and deterioration of bone tissue resulting in bone fragility and increased fracture risk. Osteopenia (bone loss) may go undetected for many years and in some cases may even start in your twenties.
One in three women and one in five men over 50 will suffer a fracture in their lifetime as a direct result of Osteoporosis, often leading to patients requiring long-term or even nursing home care.
With early DETECTION and proper preventive treatment, the debilitating effects of Osteoporosis can be avoided.
Equilibrium is one of the first clinics in the UK to offer safe and accurate radiation free bone density ultrasound scans for those who:
- have had a hysterectomy;
- are experiencing hormonal changes;
- are on steroid medication, chemotherapy or long-term Proton-Pump Inhibitors;
- are nutritionally compromised such as gastro-intestinal and eating disorders, RED-S;
- have a family history of osteoporosis;
- have been medicated and/or previously diagnosed with osteopenia, osteoporosis or low bone density;
- are worried about curvature of the spine; and/or
- have had recent fractures and/or falls.
At the end of your scan you will be given a printed report with your results showing your Bone Mineral Density (BMD), T-Score, Z-Score, Body Composition Index and Fracture Risk Index.
This ultrasound scan is not only safer and less intrusive than DXA by its lack of exposure to radiation, it also provides a fragility score.
Osteoporosis can be prevented with early detection and today there are a number of effective treatments. These range from simple lifestyle and nutritional changes to prescribed medications for those diagnosed with severe osteoporosis. Further opportunity will be given to discuss these treatment options whilst in clinic.
To prepare for your scan, please be aware of the following:
– You will be required to expose your abdomen for the spinal reading and groin for the hip reading. Towels will be used in the appointment at all times to protect your modesty, but stretchy comfortable clothing is advised.
– The scan will not hurt, it is radiation free and is painless.
If you would like a chaperone present please ensure Equilibrium are notified prior to your appointment.
The price of this scan including reports is £120, payable in advance to Equilibrium.